Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I wasn't kidding

“Leaving so soon?” the lifeguard asked.

“Yeah, I figured it was time to stop embarrassing myself,” I answered. She laughed because she thought I was kidding.

What’s the point of continuing bad practice? So I shivered my way to the shower and called it a day.
_______________________________
Yesterday I swam 800 yards. It still feels like cheating to me. You know, the 25-yard front stroke followed by the 25-yard elementary backstroke thing. Repeat as needed. It feels like cheating. I won’t feel like a real swimmer until I can swim the entire distance with my face in the water, still, 800 yards is almost a half-mile and that kind of sounds like something…finally.

I also went for a short bike ride last night. I rode six miles. I rode six miles in 26 minutes. Is that good? Is that slow? I don’t know.

I’ll say one thing, during that first mile the only thing I could think of was that there is NO WAY that I’ll be able to complete a triathlon. I thought that the bike ride was supposed to be the easy part. The ride got better. By the time I was done I was sorry that it was ending so soon. After I climbed off my bike I walked to the end of my street and back (about .2 miles) just so I could try to imagine what it would be like during a race to finish the bike and head off on the run.
_____________________________

I just want to say one thing about my son’s t-ball team. That thing is this: Thank God I don’t teach kindergarten.

Every single player has made a noticeable improvement since the first practice. I’m so proud of them already and we don’t even start games until next week. The games should be a special adventure. I can’t wait.

4 comments:

Wrenched Photography said...

Hey as long as you go the distance its fine. Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

You absolutely can do it. You just have a lot of stress right now. Hang in there.
M

Tea said...

You just need a widdle KICK IN THE BUTT!

First: It is NOT cheating when you stay in the pool and put in your time. Are you using your kids' arm floats? Are wearing a life jacket? NO. (wait-are you using arm floats?) It's all YOU. I don't care HOW you swim. You're doing it! Look at the progress! It's awesome!You're awesome!

Next: If I can FINISH my first triathlon with 2 weeks of training, you'd better believe that you can finish it with WEEKS of training. No one said it was easy. There is a reason why fewer people do Tri's than run marathons. You have to own each event. You will dominate each event! You have to believe in yourself.

Repeat after me: there's no place like home....oops, wrong motivational speech. disregard.

AAAAAND, if you don't finish it, I will NEVER stop teasing you about it.

Tea said...

One more thing: Great job on the 800 and the bike ride. 26 minutes is perfect.

Have you tried a 50 yard/m swim, yet? Then follow it with your active rest for 25. I bet you could do it.