Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Speedo

I want to thank everybody who has been stopping by and visiting my little corner of the WWW. I'm extremely flattered that you take the time to read and comment. I’ve been a little bit busy and just haven’t been able to steal time away to author an update. Until now...
_______________________________

Yesterday I arrived at the pool to find the doors firmly locked. You know, when I make the effort to wrench my behind out of my delightfully comfortable bed at 5am just so I can splash around like I know what I’m doing (I don’t), I think that the people who are getting paid to be there ought to give me the courtesy of being there too. That’s not a too much to ask. Needless to say, I wasn’t in the best mood yesterday.

I did get a swim in today. I swam 700 and kicked 300. One thousand yards. That’s a nice round number, 1000. Look at all of those zeros. Nice. Round. Number.

I did something else swimming related today. I bought a new suit. I felt SO stupid. See, I bought a Speedo. Only a real swimmer wears a Speedo. I’m not a real swimmer...yet.

When I asked the sales clerk where I could find them she looked at me with what I interpreted to be shock and horror. It was probably boredom. (Why did it have to be a she? Why couldn’t it have been some sort of uber-tri guy that I could have asked some of my annoying newbie questions to? ) Anyway, after she helped me find my likely size (double extra whale) I got the pleasure of trying it on.

People, and when I say people I mean me, should not go out in public dressed like that.

I bought it anyway.

Now, how long will it be until I can get in good enough shape to wear the darn thing in front of other people?

(If you are astonished by the irony of a MAN obsessing about trying on and wearing a new swimsuit, thank you, I’m glad I could be your first.)

_______________________________________

I have realized that I haven't mentioned which tri I'm training for. It the Great Lakes Triathlon/Duathlon on July 21st. I hear it's a very well run event.

I would also like to do another on September 8. That one has me a little bit worried because there's a time limit for the swim and another time limit for the swim/bike. Is this common? I've heard that you have to be injured to not make the cutoffs. Still, I'm not experienced enough to know if I can make that cutoff.

I want to finish my racing season with a local half marathon at the end of October. I plan on running a few 5ks as well, but I don't which ones they will be yet.
_______________________________________

I'm SOOOOOOO ready to run. I feel like I'm just wasting all of this beautiful weather. Stupid stress fracture.

2 comments:

Tea said...

Ok--First of all, I'm glad you found time to post. I know that life can get very busy for you. I would imagine the end of the school year would be really busy.

I suit story was hilarious, especially since Mike and I went to buy clothes for him today.

Congrats on the great swim! You are really making progress very quickly and should be proud of that. The running will come. How many more weeks do you have until your next doctor's appt?

Seriously, don't worry about the time limits. Yes it's normal, but you'll be able to finish. Believe it or not, I did the Danskin Tri 2 weeks after getting my cast off. I STILL wasn't the last one out of the water. I wasn't even CLOSE to be being the last one out, and I was UBER slow then. (Now I'm just frightfully slow).

I am the Big Bad Wolf said...

Todd, I don't know how old you are, so I don't know if you remember when Speedos were actually in style back in the 70s when I was in jr. hi.