Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Monster Hill

I had a fantastically super awesome great bike ride this afternoon. It wasn't because I was fast. It wasn't because I rode a super long distance. Nope.

Today I conquered Monster Hill.

My kids call it Monster Hill because I showed it to them once when were driving up it and I was telling them that I ran up it sometimes and my oldest daughter exclaimed, "You run up this monster hill?"

Yeah, I do.

Sometimes.

But, until today I have never attempted to ride up Monster Hill. I was afraid. Afraid I wouldn't make it. Afraid passing drivers would see me and wonder what the heck I thought I was doing and who was I fooling anyway? Afraid.

You see, there are not many hills where I live. The hills around here are mostly bumps in farmers fields. Rolling hills. Monster hill is steep (26%) and high compared to all the rest.

Today I decided it was time to meet my fear. It was hard. It was lung busting, quad shiveringly difficult. But...I won. I conquered my fear and I climbed the hill.

Now I realize as I write this that it's pretty metaphoric. I have overcome another stress fracture. I have beaten down a great deal of frustration in the pool. Now I've conquered Monster Hill and next week I'll become a triathlete in addition to being a marathoner.

What's left to fear?

I'm sure I'll find something.

No comments: