Thursday, July 12, 2007

54 touches and 9 days to go

I swam 1,350 yards this morning. Nonstop. It feels good. I passed the half mile point in my swim and checked in with myself to see if, come race day, I'll still have gas in the tank at that point.

The answer? Yes.

Race day will be different though. Much different.

I can feel myself starting to go through the mental exercise of becoming prepared to do whatever it takes to finish this thing. Today's long swim will go quite a way to help prepare me mentally.

One other thing...

When I was done. I pulled off my goggles and the life guard walked up to me and said, "Wow, you didn't stop at all. How far did you swim?"

I told her.

She asked me how the long the swim is in my tri. I told her it's a half mile.

"You're gonna do great," she said.

I sure hope so.

2 comments:

Tea said...

Just fantastic! I sound like a broken record, huh?

I was thinking about you last night at football practice. Another coach was there, and he coaches the youngest age after flag football. I don't know how old they boys were, but they were little (Compared to my boys' teams in pads).
The coach had his hands full, but he had such a great attitude. I could tell that he was trying so hard to NOT laugh at those little guys running all over the place. They were SO cute!

TriTurtL said...

Have you done an open water swim yet? If not, get one in before race day. It's a whole lot different when you can't see the bottom of the pool. Other than that, it sounds like you're well on your way to a fantastic first triathlon! Be careful, it's addicting!