Saturday, June 2, 2007

Fear of Soap


My Friday morning swim was ruined by soap.

I walked into the pool office and signed in. The lifeguard gave me a friendly wave. I waved back and turned to enter the locker room. I set my gym bag down and opened it to grab my swim suit and put my clothes for the day in the locker. I pulled out a soapy mess. My Addidas Active body wash had opened somehow (gremlins?) and had leaked all over my swim suit and my clothes. After uttering a few a my favorite profanities I threw my stuff back in the bag and went home.

Darn it.
____________

It's going to be a busy weekend. I hope I can get away for a bike ride or two.
____________

Fear.

I've been thinking about fear.

No, not the stupid hack and slash horror movie kind of fear. Not the, "What am I doing on this roller coaster?" kind of fear either. I'm talking about the kind of fear that keeps us from trying our best or giving our all in those endeavors we undertake.

I think many (most?) of us purposely don't give our all because of fear. It's not the fear of physical pain that comes from maximum effort. We accept physical pain as part of the game we're playing. I think we fear the pain that comes from giving our very best effort and not achieving our goal. That psychic trauma would be harder to bear than any sore muscle or lactic acid induced burn. If we really give our all and fail what excuse do we have left for not achieving our goal?

That's scary.

That's fear.

No comments: