Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Walls

Here’s how it feels…

During the first 25 yards I feel fine. My stroke feels smooth. I’m relaxed. I reach the wall, take a deep breath, and push off. About one third of the way there I begin to feel tightness in my chest. It’s as though large rubber bands are constricting my rib cage. I continue to swim. Rolling onto my left side, I breath deeply but it doesn’t feel like I’m getting any air. I can tell the wall is getting closer because I can see the water becoming shallower but it seems like it’s still a full length away. I see the “t” thingy and I reach for the wall and pop my head out of the water, gasping for breath.

That’s what swimming 50 yards feels like to me.

I repeated that ten times today.

Because I was the only one in the pool I asked the lifeguard to watch me swim a lap and tell me what she thought.

She said it looks like a normal swimming stroke. It seems as though I have a good rhythm going for breathing. She noticed how I seem to be swimming on my side and gliding across the top of the water. It looks pretty good, she says.

Huh?

Why is it so freakin’ hard!

Why!!!

Tomorrow I intend to try to push the envelope a bit. I want to swim 75 yard nonstop. If it’s a mental wall I can eventually break through it, right? If it's a physical wall I can work through it, right?

Right.

right?

6 comments:

Wrenched Photography said...

50 meter pools are your friends.

todd said...

Winz - How? Why? I don't get it!

Wrenched Photography said...

Longer, less wall pushing and screwing up of your rythem.

todd said...

Duh! Guess who the newbie is?

FunFitandHappy said...

Wanna get better at running? Run more....Wanna get better at cycling? Bike more...Wanna get better at swimming? Get a swim coach.....Swimming is ALL technique.

I am the Big Bad Wolf said...

Todd, how often are you breathing? Try every stroke (head to the side, ear resting on the water... not head to the front). So, for example, when your right arm reaches back to come out of the water your head turns to the right side and you take a breath, then your head goes back in when your right arm reaches back in and you blow all the air out through your mouth and nose. Just like regular breathing. It sounds like you must be holding your breath. There should be a sea of bubbles all around you if you're breathing.
When you get used to that, then try every third stroke if you want (right/left), but it's alot harder.