Monday, July 21, 2008

Now we're getting somewhere

The Podiatrist was a really nice guy. He started putting pieces together for me. Apparently I have flexible flat feet and something called equinus. In the end, this means orthotics. BUT, he's not just gonna slap some orthotics on my feet and call it good. He's going to wait until I have my video gait analysis done in August and use the pinpoint measurements that they come up with. I also have an unusual body tilt. My right shoulder is higher than my left and it comes forward farther than my left one does. Huh? I always knew I was defective...

Anyway, it's really good to be getting down to the bottom of this things. One other thing, he mentioned that I have really tight ankles, knees, and hips. Why was a Podiatrist checking out my hips? That probably explains the soft music, wine, and the flowers in the examining room...

One other thing. He looked at my shoes. He said they were perfect for me I just need beefed up support from some orthotics

5 comments:

Tea said...

That's good to hear. Stretching some and strengthening other muscles will help you address the overcompensation issues.

It'll be interesting to tie everything together in the next month.

Anonymous said...

um

b said...

Glad to hear your on the right track Todd towards healing up :-) Thanks for the note in my blog the other day...I didn't realize your hometown was the St. Joe/Benton Harbor region of MI.

Anonymous said...

I had a gait analysis once. It was very interesting and kind of fun. And everybody has differences from one side to the other. I have one ear lower and farther back on my head. One foot is longer. And one of my . . . well, I won't get into that here.

The Original MAJ said...

My pod was a cool guy too and a runner. You WILL get it together. It may take some time, but don't give up, you're on the right track.

Remember that, to quote Gabe Jennings indirectly, everything you do every day contributes either directly or indrectly to your training, but that is also true in reverse: everything you do, either directly or indirectly for your training, contributes to your "real" life.

Every day posture and gait can cause huge biomechanical issues in the future in all parts of your life, SO, any way you see it - this is all good!