Friday, April 27, 2007

Wings 0 - Sharks 2

I didn’t count my laps today. I only had a limited amount of time so I just filled that time with kicking a couple of laps, swimming a few nice and easy laps, and (Are you Sitting down?) a couple of sprints. That’s right. I said sprints.

SPRINTS

You know what?

It’s fun to go fast.
______________________________

Stupid Red Wings. It’s only the first game. Still, I have the feeling that their season ends in San Jose.
______________________________

There’s a man that I see in the pool at least four days a week. He only does the backstroke. I’ve often wondered why his stroke seemed so awkward. Today I found out.
I watched him get out of the pool. He used the handicapped lift because both of his legs are missing below his knees.

Have I complained lately that swimming is hard? Please point me back to this post if I ever try to say that I cannot do something. We humans are completely unaware of things we are capable of if we’re just willing to put in the time and effort.

God bless that man.
______________________________

A long way gone; Memoirs of a Boy Soldier
by Ishmael Beah

This is a beautifully written book. The author narrates his experiences before, during, and after his rescue and escape from the civil war in Sierra Leone with haunting and gut wrenching detail. Beah recounts the abject horror of civil war and assaults the reader with stark accounts of the reality we North Americans are spared. You won’t find any of this on the nightly news. I highly recommend that you read this book.

2 comments:

Tea said...

It's such a great feeling to do things that you previously didn't think you could.

I love that book. I bought it for my 13 year old son, and we shared reading time--ok really, we argued over who could read the book first. Right after reading the book, he wrote a letter to the President of Uganda and Bush urging them to stop the use of child soldiers. He also cited international child protection laws etc.

It reminds me of the quote by Margaret Mead:
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.

Tea said...

Hey, Warren Zevon's "Hit Somebody" would be appropriate for NHL playoffs. ;)

We've got the Nuggest and Suns tomorrow night game three with the series tied 1-1.